Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Where Barters' Dare!

 "Where Barters' Dare"


October 2, is a day celebrated as the birthday of "Bapu" , "The Father" , a being who evolved with the imperfections of a being towards the soul of a country to be a nation. A nation with a diversity of unique imperfections which can be celebratory in nature. This same day and time highlights the beginning of a lunar cycle which marks the continuity of beginning and end of mortal life forms through mortal agents and mediums. Every year, therefore during this time, I have to go back to the ground, roots to nurture their life forms with what they need most - "Just a food to grow". 


This year was not an exception but in addition I met the same person on the footpath of New Delhi who almost 21 years back had fed me with food to grow while today I was distributing food coupons to footpath dwellers. The time was sometime in May 2003 and I had performed in Lok Kala Manch for a one and half hour musical theatre with no break. 


I was hungry, thirsty but only had two single notes in the pocket with no wallet.The real ego and ego real state doesn't exist only in a rich or in the one who has the paper in the wallet or the numbers in the digital account. It stays in a student too who is ambitious, giving best but then realises that generally the concept of the paper is always about power asymmetry. From that ego, the dare to not eat or resist hunger is born even when you are hungry after a show. Hence in such a state, the performer with real ego and ego real condition only looks onto the footpath dhaba, looks at the others eating but can't eat for himself. However 21 years back, one person could see that and asked me to sit on the street side and eat two aloo paranthas, sabzi with onion and cucumber. He didn't take any money in return. No barter or exchange happened. He calmed my real ego hunger. Today, 21 years down the line when I went to the same place, he immediately recognised me while I was giving food coupons to people. He came forward and arranged a table and a chair for me. He cleaned the same steel utensils of the past of memories, served me with a roti, sabzi, daal and wanted to immediately make parantha for me. He didn't take money even today as he didn't during May 2003. I couldn't see his mother today who also used to be there with him at the street stall. Post Covid, I get anxious to ask this question - "Where is your close family member to most street dwellers whenever I meet them?". I was hesitant to ask but still asked - "Where is your mother?"


Bhaiyya of the food stall first responded that - "Bhaiyya Khana Khaiye Sirf, Mujhe Paisa Nahi Chahiye, Daal Aur Du!" He was not responding to my question. I was getting tensed. Finally he responded - "Mummy America Gayi Hai With A Smile".


I truly felt today I was at a place again after 21 years - "Where Barters' Dare?"


No comments:

Post a Comment