নিজেকে চিঠি - কোশি নদী ও লেনার্ড কোহেন
কিছুদিন আগে জিম করবেট wildlife পার্ক এ গিয়েছিলাম। যাত্রা টা কাজ সংক্রান্ত যাত্রা ছিল। অথচ এই যাত্রায় গিয়ে এক নতুন বন্ধু কে পেলাম। কোসি নদী। নেপাল এর ভয়াবহ প্রলয় আর পুরোনো কোসি নদী কে ভয়াবহ রূপ নিয়ে ফেসবুক এ বিভিন্ন ভিডিও তে দেখেছি। নেপালের ভয়াবহতা কে দেখেছি ফেসবুক এ। দেখেছি গ্লেসিয়ার, নদী কি করতে পারে। যখন উত্তরাখণ্ড যাচ্ছিলাম, ফ্লাড এলার্ট, বৃষ্টির এলার্ট, গুগল বার বার দেখাচ্ছিল। মাথায় ছিল প্রকৃতির পরিবর্তনশীল হওয়ার সংকেত। শঙ্কা যদিও খুব একটা ছিল না। কারণ নগর সভ্যতা বা ফেসবুক এর মধ্যে থেকেও আমি এখন নাগরিক নই। আমি অনেকটাই বন্য, প্রকৃতির। পৌঁছে গেলাম প্রকৃতি আর কোশির কাছে বনের মাঝেই। সারাদিন কাজ আর তার মাঝেই সকাল থেকে দুপুর থেকে রাত কোশী কথা বলে চলেছে। তাঁর প্রতিটি শব্দ শুনতে পাচ্ছিলাম। জেনো মডেলিং সেশন এর মধ্যেও কোসি নদী আমাকে বুঝিয়ে দিচ্ছে কেন আমরা মডেলিং (এই মডেলিং পলিসি মডেলিং, এনার্জি মডেলিং) করি বা করার কি দরকার।
স্থানীয় লোকেরা বলল যে যখন তখন কোসি নদীর শব্দ ধ্বনি বদলে যেতে পারে। বৃষ্টি হলো, রোদ্দুর আসল, গেলো। তিন দিনের মধ্যে এক দিন ও সেই ধ্বনি বদলালো না। যেন আমরা দুজনে বন্ধুত্ব পাতাতে চাইছিলাম দুজনের সাথে - কোসি নদী ও আমি। এটাও বুঝতে পারলাম যে সে বন্ধুত্ব চাইলেও দুরত্ব ও চায়। মাঝরাতে তখন ঠিক ঘড়িতে বাজে ২.৩০। তার পাশে গিয়ে দাঁড়ালাম। শব্দ ধ্বনি ঠিক সেই একই রকম যা ছিল দুপুর আড়াইটের সময়। কি করে ও এত স্থির। মাথায় চলছে ফেসবুক এর ভিডিও যেখানে এই নদী ভয়াবহ এবং এক ধাক্কায় কয়েক মিনিটে সব বয়ে নিয়ে চলে যায়। বুঝলাম যে পুরোটাই প্রকৃতির বাছাই করার নিয়ম। সেই রাতে ও আমায় শোনালো একই স্থির ধ্বনি। অন্য যেকোনো সময়ে এটা হতে পারে প্রলয় ধ্বনি। অন্ধকারে ডুবে ওর পাশে দাঁড়িয়ে শুধু এক বন্ধু কে দেখতে পেলাম। ফিরে আসলাম ধীরে ধীরে আমার রুম রাতের অন্ধকারে একা।
মাথায় চলতে থাকলো লেনার্দ কোহেন এর লেখা গান "সুজান" এর কিছু লাইন।
"Suzanne takes you down to her place, near the river
You can hear the boats go by, you can spend the night beside her
And you know that she's half-crazy, but that's why you wanna be there
And just when you mean to tell her that you have no love to give her
Then she gets you on her wavelength and she lets the river answer
That you've always been her lover
And you wanna travel with her
And you want to travel blind
And you know that she will trust you
For you've touched her perfect body with your mind"
আমার সুজান হয়ে উঠল "কোশী নদী"। সকালে উঠে না ঘুমিয়ে দিল্লির উদ্যেশে সকাল সাত টা নাগাদ রওনা দিয়ে দিলাম। রাস্তায় আসতে আসতে দেখলাম, ন্যাশনাল হাইওয়ে তে একটি বড় ট্রাক উল্টে পড়েছে আমরোহার কাছে। লোক জন জড় হয়ে রাস্তা জাম করে মোবাইল ফোনে দুর্ঘটনার ভিডিও নিচ্ছে। তাঁর মধ্যে কিছু ট্রাক ড্রাইভার ও রয়েছে। হয়ত পরবর্তী সময়ে এই ভিডিও টা আপলোড করে সেই ট্রাক ড্রাইভার reel likes পাবে। কিছুটা খুশিও হবে।
আর আমিই হয়ত, নেপাল এর প্রলয় ভিডিও টা ফেসবুক এ শহরে বসে দেখার পর, ট্রাক ড্রাইভার এর ভিডিও টাও দেখব ফেসবুক এ বসে।
A Letter to Myself — The Kosi River and Leonard Cohen
A few days ago, I went to Jim Corbett Wildlife Park. It was essentially a work-related journey. And yet, somewhere along the way, I found a new friend.
The Kosi River.
I had seen the terrifying images and videos of Nepal’s recent devastation on Facebook. I had seen the old Kosi in its more frightening moods, seen what glaciers and rivers can do when nature decides to change its course.
While travelling towards Uttarakhand, my phone kept flashing warnings—flood alerts, heavy rain alerts. Nature seemed to be sending its signals, reminding us of how unpredictable it can be.
And yet, I was not particularly afraid.
Perhaps because, despite living within an urban civilisation and spending so much time within the world of Facebook, I no longer feel entirely urban myself. Somewhere inside, I remain a little wild. A little closer to nature.
And then I arrived—deep in the forest, close to nature, close to the Kosi.
The days were filled with work. But in between the meetings and discussions, from morning to afternoon, from afternoon to night, the Kosi kept speaking.
I could hear every word.
Strangely, even in the middle of our modelling sessions, I felt that the Kosi was explaining to me why we model at all—why we need modelling, whether it is policy modelling or energy modelling. Why we try to understand the future through equations, assumptions and scenarios when nature itself refuses to behave according to our models.
The local people told me that the sound of the Kosi could change at any moment.
It rained. The sun came out. Then disappeared again. The weather changed its mood.
But over those three days, the sound of the river never changed.
Not once.
It felt almost as if the two of us were trying to become friends—the Kosi and I.
But I also understood something else: even if she wanted friendship, she wanted distance too.
It was the middle of the night.
Exactly 2:30 a.m.
I walked quietly towards the river and stood beside her.
The sound was exactly the same as it had been at 2:30 in the afternoon.
How could she remain so still?
In my mind, the Facebook videos kept playing—the terrifying Kosi, the river that can suddenly become a force of destruction, carrying everything away within minutes.
And then I understood something about nature’s own rules.
Perhaps this is how nature chooses.
The same river that whispers gently beside you at one moment can, at another, become the sound of catastrophe.
That night, however, the Kosi continued to speak in the same steady voice.
Standing beside her in the darkness, I could see only a friend.
Nothing more.
And slowly, I walked back to my room, alone, through the darkness of the night.
As I walked, a few lines from Leonard Cohen’s Suzanne began playing inside my head:
“Suzanne takes you down to her place, near the river
You can hear the boats go by, you can spend the night beside her…”
There was something about those lines that suddenly felt strangely familiar.
My Suzanne had become the Kosi River.
The river had taken me to her place. She had allowed me to spend a night beside her. She had spoken to me without ever saying a word. And perhaps, like Cohen’s Suzanne, she had taken me onto her wavelength and allowed the river itself to answer.
By morning, I had hardly slept.
Around seven, I left for Delhi.
On the way, near Amroha, I saw a large truck overturned on the National Highway.
People had gathered around it. The traffic had slowed into a jam. Almost everyone seemed to have a mobile phone in hand, recording the accident.
Among them were a few truck drivers too.
Perhaps one of them would later upload his video to Facebook or Instagram. Perhaps it would collect a few thousand views, a few hundred likes. Perhaps, for a moment, he would feel happy about it.
And perhaps I, too, would eventually sit in my city and watch that video on Facebook.
Just as I had watched the videos of the devastation in Nepal.
A river in Nepal.
A truck near Amroha.
A disaster on a screen.
A disaster beside the road.
Perhaps this is what our lives have become: we keep watching catastrophe from a safe distance, turning it into images, videos, reels and memories.
And somewhere between the real river and the river on Facebook, I wonder whether we have forgotten how to listen.
That night, beside the Kosi, I did not see a river waiting to become a catastrophe.
I saw a friend.
And perhaps that is what the river had come to tell me—that nature does not always announce itself through destruction.
Sometimes, it simply sits beside you in the darkness and speaks in the same quiet voice it used in the afternoon.
You only have to be there to hear it.
@highlight
No comments:
Post a Comment