Friday, September 4, 2026

নিজেকে চিঠি - Teacher's Day

 নিজেকে চিঠি - 


আজকে শিক্ষক দিবস। আবার অধ্যাপকদের শিক্ষক দিবস ও আজকে। ক্লাস রুম এ প্রথম পড়াতে ঢুকেছিলাম 2003 সালে জেএনইউ তে থাকা কালীন। তারও আগে টুইশন করেছি, পড়িয়েছি ক্লাস নাইন থেকে। 


কাউকে পড়াবার আগে নিজের ছোটো বয়সে হাতেখড়ি মার কাছে সহজ পাঠের সাথে, আমার কুনকুনিদির কাছে হারমোনিয়াম এর সাথে, ফুলকাকি আর ফুলকাকুর কাছে রাগ আর তবলার সাথে, ম্যাম্পির কাছে নাচের আর খেলনা বাটির তালে, ময়নার কাছে কিতকিত খেলার তালে। তারপর দাভাই এর কাছে অঙ্ক শেখার মাধ্যমে আর দাদার কাছে নাটকের রিহার্সাল গুলোতে। ডাব্বুর সাথে ক্রিকেট মাঠে, আর প্রদীপ বলে ছোটো বন্ধুটির সাথে ফুটবল এর মাঠে হয়েছিল "Rythm" আর "Timing" এর হাতে খড়ি।


ক্লাস নাইন এ যখন জগবন্ধু ইনস্টিটিউশন এর "স্যার" এর কাছে অঙ্ক, পদার্থ বিদ্যা পড়তে যেতাম, কয়েক মাস পড়াবার পর "স্যার" বলেন যে তুই মাঝে মাঝে এবার অন্য ব্যাচের ক্লাস ও নে। তাতে চর্চা আর পরিশীলিত হবে। আর আমি খুব তাড়াতাড়ি হ্যা বলে দিয়েছিলাম। কারণ "স্যার" প্রত্যেকটা ব্যাচের পর যেদিন পড়ানো টা ভালো হতো , সেইদিন হাতে ৫০ টাকা দিয়ে বলত - "ভালো করে মিষ্টি খেয়ে নিস"। মিষ্টি না খেয়ে ঐ টাকাটা পুজোর জন্য বাঁচিয়ে রাখতাম। NEP 2020 তে লেখা "earn while you learn" , পন্থা বা বিদেশি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় গুলোতে বা USA তে Phd করার দরুন পড়ানোর চর্চা যেটা প্রচলিত সাধারণ ভাবে আমার জীবনে অনেক আগেই শুরু হয়ে গিয়েছিল। আমি আমেরিকা তে যায়নি phd করতে আর যাওয়ার কোনো ইচ্ছেও ছিল না কোনো দিন।


 ক্লাস নাইন এ অধ্যাপনা ব্যাপারটা কি, সেটা বুঝিনি, আজ পুরোটা বুঝিনা। কিন্তু ক্লাসের ঐ মুহূর্তের ম্যাজিক টা একই রকম থেকে গেছে। সেটা কনসার্ট, রিহার্সাল রুম গুলোতেও অনেক সময় অনুভব করি বা যখন কোনো একটা খাতা, কলম নিয়ে কিছু একটা আকি বুকি করার চেষ্টা করছি সেই সময় তেও মনে হয়। 


সেই ক্লাস নাইন থেকে পড়ানো আসতে আসতে এসে একদিন JNU তে ক্লাসরুম এ এসে ঠেকলো 2003 সালে। Administrative Staff College এর কোনো একটা"Training Aar Capacity Building Programme " চলছিল। আমি কোনো সেমিস্টার এর পর বাড়ি বা কলকাতায় যায়নি। Hostel Room আর JNU টাই বাড়ি হয়ে গিয়েছিল। তাই আবার রাজি হয়ে গেলাম। কিছু রোজগার ও হবে ক্লাস গুলো নিলে। ম্যাজিক মোমেন্টস এর সাথে সাথে যদি রোজগার ও হয় এর থেকে আর ভালো কি হয় । JNU তে থাকা কালীন, টাকা পয়সা জমিয়ে সিনেমা, নাটক দেখতাম, মিউজিক Shows দেখ তাম, Daryaganj এ বই কিনতে যেতাম আর মাঝে মাঝে CR Park এ মা তারা তে মাছ ভাত খেতে যেতাম দুই মাসে বা তিন মাসে একবার। যেহেতু কলকাতা যেতাম না, তাই মাছের ঝোল টা তিন মাসে একবার এর জায়গায় মরুভূমিতে অমৃতের মতো ছিল।


2003 এ jnu তে নিলাম "বেসিক excel applications আর econometrics" এর ক্লাস। আমার সহপাঠী শুভজিৎ ও নিয়েছিল কিছু লেকচার। ভালো টিচার হওয়া বা গুরু হওয়া কাকে বলে তখন বা এখনও কাকে বলে কিছুই বুঝিনি। কিন্তু মনে হতো যদি কোনোদিন স্কুলের অঞ্জন বাবু হতে পারতাম, বা কলেজের এসএম, MM, এডিজি হতে পারতাম। সিএসএসএসসি তে থাকা কালীন ক্লাসে বসে মনে হত যদি কোনো দিন মৈত্রীশ ঘটক, কৌশিক বসু, হতে পারতাম। Jnu তে প্রভাত পট্টানায়ক, অরিজিৎ সেন কে পড়াতে দেখে মনে হতো যদি ওরকম হতে পারতাম বা Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi তে থাকা কালীন মনে হতো যদি Shanghamitra Das এর মতো হতে পারতাম। আসলে এই সকল অধ্যাপক গণ আমাদের মধ্যে কিছু হয়ে ওঠার স্বপ্নের আর মুহূর্তের জন্ম দেয়। তাই হয়ত তারা অধ্যাপক। 


জীবনের ছেচল্লিশ টা বছর পার হয়েছে। আমি আমার যাত্রায় এটা বুঝতে পেরেছি যে কারোর মতো হওয়া আমার পক্ষে সম্ভব নয়। কিন্তু কিছু হয়ে ওঠার স্বপ্নটা কে জ্বালিয়ে রাখতে চাই প্রত্যেক মুহূর্তে যেখানে যখন যেভাবে পেরেছি। যার জন্যে এই দিনটা তে আমি কৃতজ্ঞতা জানাই sms e যতটা পারি সেই মানুষগুলো কে যারা কোনো না কোনো সময়ে এই হয়ে ওঠা টা আমায় দেখিয়েছে। 


আমার ক্লাস রুম যাত্রা আর দৃঢ় হয়েছে। তাই 2010 এ TERI School of Advanced Studies এ "ট্রেড আর সাসটেইনেবল ডেভেলপমেন্ট" পড়াতে শুরু করি। তারপরে "Mathematics For Sustainability Science", "Art and Sustainability" বলে কিছু নিজের মত কোর্স ডিজাইন করি এবং পড়াই। আমি অত্যন্ত কৃতজ্ঞ Nilanjan Ghosh , Nandan Nawn এর কাছে যারা ঐ নতুন কোর্স গুলো কে রিভিউ করে আমাকে সাহস জোগান পড়াবার জন্য। তার পর Manav Rachna Educational Institutions এ 2019 থেকে বিভিন্ন কিছু পড়িয়েছি - "ডেভেলপমেন্ট ইকোনমিক্স, গাঁধী এন্ড the ওয়ার্ল্ড, mathematical methods of economics, Indian economy, introduction to political philosophy, critical thinking, research methodology" এবং আরো কত কিছু। ছাত্র ছাত্রী দের দারা সমৃদ্ধ হয়েছি, তাঁদের প্রশ্নে, তাঁদের চিন্তা ভাবনায়। আমাকে এই সুযোগ দেওয়ার জন্য আমি সমস্ত সংস্থাগুলি ও ছাত্র ছাত্রী দের কাছে কৃতজ্ঞ।


তারপর হঠাৎ গত বছর , 2025 এর গোড়ার দিকে আমি একটি পাঁচ দিনের মন্থনের পর নিজেকে বলি যে আর হয়ত ক্লাসরুমে ঢুকে পড়ানো নিয়মিত ভাবে আমি করবো না। সেই সিদ্ধান্তের পেছনে আমার মনে হয়েছিল - যে সময়ের মধ্যে দিয়ে বড় হয়ে যেই মুহূর্ত টাকে পেতে আমি ক্লাসরুমের পরিবেশে ঢুকতাম, আজ সমাজ সেটাকে পাল্টে ফেলেছে।


এই পরিবর্তন, ভূল বা ঠিক কিনা এই নিয়ে তর্ক করাটা বৃথা। কিন্তু এই পরিবর্তন টা মেনে নিতে হবে। তাই আমরা যারা কুড়ি বছরের ওপর ধরে এখনও "Happy Teacher's Day" লিখে চলেছি আমাদের কান্ডারী দের, সেই প্রজাতি ক্রমশ বিলুপ্ত হয়ে যাবে। হয়ত কিছু পড়েও থাকবে। কারণ সমাজ থেকে মূলত "Gratitude" এর ভাবনা টা বিলুপ্ত হয়ে চলেছে। হয়ত এর জন্য আমি এবং আমরা সকলে দায়ী। আমি আজ সকাল সকাল টেক্সট পাই। কিন্তু প্রশ্ন হচ্ছে যে কোন জেনারেশন থেকে পাচ্ছি বা কেন সেটা পাচ্ছি। 


কিন্তু এই সামাজিক পরিবর্তন এর ফলে তো "হয়ে ওঠা" বন্ধ হতে পারে না। তাই এখন আমার মন সারাক্ষণ পরে থাকে "Sonbhadra" district এ আমাদের কুড়িটি ডিস্ট্রিক্ট learning centre এ, বা labour camp school গুলো তে, বা বিহারের প্রত্যন্ত এলাকা গুলোতে যেখানে আমরা প্রচুর ঝড় ঝঞ্ঝা উপেক্ষা করে লাইব্রেরি বানাচ্ছি। কারণ আমার দৃঢ় বিশ্বাস এরাই হয়ে ওঠা আবার শেখাবে নগর সভ্যতাকে এক পরিবর্তিত পৃথিবী তে।


Today is Teachers’ Day.


For those of us who have spent part of our lives teaching in universities, it is our day too.


My first real classroom as a teacher was at JNU, in 2003. But perhaps that is only where the story became visible. It had begun much earlier—in Class IX, almost without my knowing that I had begun.


I used to go to my “Sir” at Jagabandhu Institution to study mathematics and physics. After a few months, one day, Sir said,


“Now and then, take a class for another batch as well. It will give you practice. It will refine you.”


I said yes almost immediately.


There was another, less philosophical reason.


Whenever Sir felt that I had taught a batch particularly well, he would put fifty rupees into my hand and say,


“Go and have some sweets.”


I never bought the sweets.


I saved the money for Puja.


Looking back, it feels almost like a small parable about how a life of teaching can begin: with a lesson, a little trust, fifty rupees, and the promise of sweets that were never eaten.


Long before phrases such as “earn while you learn” entered policy documents like NEP 2020, I had already stumbled into my own version of it.


Teaching entered my life before I knew what teaching was.


In Class IX, I did not understand what it meant to be a professor.


Truth be told, I am not sure I understand it completely even now.


But I understood, even then, something about the strange electricity of a classroom.


That electricity has survived all these years.


It is still there.


Sometimes I encounter it in a classroom. Sometimes in a concert hall, sometimes in a rehearsal room. Sometimes it arrives unexpectedly while I am sitting alone with a notebook and a pen, making some meaningless marks that slowly begin to resemble an idea.


It is difficult to explain what happens in those moments.


Perhaps teaching is partly the art of making a bridge between two minds when neither mind is entirely sure where the bridge will lead.


Perhaps it is the sudden illumination of a room that was already full of darkness.


Perhaps it is simply the joy of watching an idea leave you and acquire a second life in someone else.


Whatever it is, the magic has remained.


From that small classroom in Class IX, the journey continued until, in 2003, I found myself standing in a classroom at JNU.


An Administrative Staff College “Training and Capacity Building Programme” was being held. I had not gone home or to Kolkata after any semester. My hostel room and JNU had, almost imperceptibly, become home.


So I said yes again.


There would be some money.


And there would be the classroom.


The two seemed like a rather good bargain.


At JNU, I saved whatever money I could to watch films and theatre, attend music shows, buy books in Daryaganj, and, once in two or three months, go to Ma Tara in CR Park for fish and rice.


Because I was not going to Kolkata, that fish curry became something more than food.


Once every three months, it arrived like rain in a drought-stricken landscape.


Like nectar in a desert.


A small taste of home, carried across distance.


In 2003, I taught “Basic Excel Applications” and “Econometrics” at JNU. My classmate Shubhajit took a few lectures as well.


We did not know then what a good teacher was supposed to look like.


I am not sure I know now.


But perhaps that ignorance was useful.


Because I was still looking.


I was still looking at teachers the way a child looks at distant mountains—without knowing how one gets there, but knowing that one wants to climb.


At school, I would think: if only I could become like Anjan Babu.


In college: if only I could become like S.M., M.M., or ADG.


At CSSSC, sitting in classrooms, I would think: if only I could become like Maitreesh Ghatak or Kaushik Basu.


At JNU, watching Prabhat Patnaik and Arijit Sen teach, I would think: if only I could become like them.


And later, at the Indian Statistical Institute in New Delhi, I would watch Sanghamitra Das and think the same thing.


If only.


That small phrase—*if only*—has probably accompanied me longer than I realise.


Perhaps that is what great teachers leave behind.


Not answers.


Not even knowledge alone.


They leave behind a horizon.


They stand somewhere in the distance and, simply by being who they are, make you believe that there might be another version of yourself waiting somewhere beyond the line you can currently see.


They make you want to walk towards it.


Perhaps that is why they are professors.


Forty-six years of my life have now passed.


And somewhere along the way I have learnt something both liberating and painful:


I cannot become like anyone else.


No matter how deeply I admire them, I cannot become Anjan Babu, or Maitreesh Ghatak, or Kaushik Basu, or Prabhat Patnaik, or Arijit Sen, or Sanghamitra Das.


Their journeys belong to them.


Their voices belong to them.


Their light falls in a particular way because they are standing in particular places.


All I can do is carry a little of that light forward.


Perhaps becoming is not imitation.


Perhaps becoming is what happens when the light of others enters us and, after passing through the strange prism of our own lives, emerges as something slightly different.


That is the dream I want to keep alive.


The dream of becoming something.


Not someone else.


Something.


Everywhere, every day, in whatever small way I can.


That is why, on Teachers’ Day, I try to reach out—to send an SMS, make a call, write a message—to the people who, at some point in my life, held up a small mirror and allowed me to see a possibility of myself that I had not yet imagined.


I owe them gratitude.


Perhaps gratitude is another form of memory.


A way of refusing to let the people who shaped us disappear simply because time has moved on.


My own journey with the classroom became more firmly rooted in 2010, when I began teaching “Trade and Sustainable Development” at TERI School of Advanced Studies.


Later came courses that I designed myself—“Mathematics for Sustainability Science,” “Art and Sustainability,” and others.


They were, in some ways, strange little creatures: born at the borders between disciplines, between numbers and imagination, between the measurable world and the world that refuses to be measured.


I remain deeply grateful to Nilanjan Ghosh and Nandan Nawn, who reviewed those courses and gave me the courage to take them into a classroom.


From 2019 onwards, at Manav Rachna Educational Institutions, I taught Development Economics, Gandhi and the World, Mathematical Methods of Economics, Indian Economy, Introduction to Political Philosophy, Critical Thinking, Research Methodology—and many other things.


The list of subjects is long.


But the list of what the students taught me is longer.


Their questions.


Their silences.


Their disagreements.


Their unexpected connections between things I had kept separate.


Their refusal to accept an answer merely because it came from the person standing at the front of the room.


Every classroom quietly rearranged something inside me.


I entered thinking I was going to teach.


I left having been taught.


For that, I remain grateful—to every institution that opened its doors to me, and to every student who walked through them.


Then, at the beginning of 2025, after five days of an intense inner churning, I told myself that perhaps I would no longer enter a classroom regularly to teach.


It was not an easy decision.


The world that had formed me—the world that had taught me to wait for that particular magic inside a classroom—had changed.


The room was still there.


But something in the light had shifted.


Whether that change was right or wrong seemed, after a while, almost beside the point.


The river had changed its course.


One does not argue with a river.


One learns to find the new crossing.


Perhaps those of us who have been writing “Happy Teachers’ Day” to our teachers and mentors for twenty years or more are becoming a disappearing species.


Perhaps a few of us will remain.


Because something else seems to be disappearing with us:


gratitude.


The ability to stop for a moment and recognise that one’s life has never been entirely one’s own.


That there are fingerprints on the person we become.


That somewhere behind every confident sentence, every idea, every way of seeing the world, there are people who once gave us something—a question, a book, a correction, an encouragement, fifty rupees for sweets.


Perhaps I am responsible for this disappearance.


Perhaps we all are.


This morning, I received messages quite early.


And I found myself wondering—not simply who had sent them, but which generation they had come from.


What does a message like “Happy Teachers’ Day” mean when it arrives?


Is it memory?


Is it gratitude?


Is it habit?


Is it merely another date illuminated briefly on a phone screen?


I do not know.


But I do know that the disappearance of a certain kind of gratitude cannot mean the disappearance of the human desire to become.


That desire is older than institutions.


Older than classrooms.


Older than universities.


And perhaps it survives precisely because it can migrate.


If the classroom changes, the dream need not.


So these days, my mind keeps returning to Sonbhadra.


To our twenty district learning centres.


To the schools in labour camps.


To the remote corners of Bihar where, through storms and uncertainties, we are building libraries.


Libraries.


Rooms full of books in places where perhaps the world has not always bothered to build rooms at all.


I find something deeply moving in that.


Because a library is more than a collection of books.


It is a promise.


A promise that someone who has been told, implicitly or explicitly, that the world has little place for them may still enter a room, open a book, and discover another world waiting on the other side of a page.


Perhaps that is where my classroom has gone.


Perhaps it has simply become larger.


Perhaps its walls have fallen away.


Perhaps the students are no longer sitting in rows in front of me.


Perhaps they are sitting in Sonbhadra, in a labour camp, in a remote village in Bihar, turning the pages of a book under a light that someone fought to bring there.


And I have come to believe—more firmly than before—that perhaps these are the people who will teach our urban civilisation how to become again.


How to remain curious.


How to imagine.


How to build something without first asking what it will yield.


How to learn without believing that learning ever ends.


Perhaps they will teach the city what the city has forgotten.


That becoming is not a destination.


It is a lifelong movement.


A journey without a final classroom.


And perhaps, after all these years, I am beginning to understand what a teacher is.


A teacher is not simply someone who stands before a class and transfers knowledge.


A teacher is someone who lights a small fire in another human being.


Sometimes the fire is an idea.


Sometimes it is a question.


Sometimes it is the audacity to imagine a different life.


Sometimes it is simply the feeling that *I, too, can become something.*


The teacher lights the fire and moves on.


Years pass.


Classrooms disappear.


Institutions change.


Cities change.


Even the teacher changes.


But if the fire survives, something has been carried forward.


And sometimes, many years later, we discover something even more beautiful:


the people we thought were our students had been carrying the flame back to us all along.


@highlight

No comments:

Post a Comment